Health Visiting Service
What do health visitors do?
Health visitors are qualified nurses or midwives who have undertaken further qualifications in public health.
They are specialist nurses in health promotion for the whole family as well as having extensive knowledge about childhood growth and development.
Every family in the UK who are currently expectant and/or have children under the age of five are allocated a named health visitor who will work with the family in partnership to help facilitate parents to make informed decisions about their families health and wellbeing.
The health visiting team at Prudhoe Medical Group is employed by Northumbria Healthcare Trust and is based within the GP practice. The team consists of three health visitors and one nursery nurse. We also regularly have qualified staff nurses employed as Student Health Visitors placed within our team and so they may observe or undertake some visits under the supervision of a qualified Health Visitor.
- Alison Aspinall – Health Visitor (usual working days Monday to Thursday)
- Lynn Bainbridge – Health Visitor (usual working days Tuesday to Friday)
- Steph Jorysz – Health Visitor (usual working days Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
- Gill Darling – Nursery Nurse
- Ann McIlroy - Student Health Visitor
Health visitors may work in a variety of settings depending on the nature of the work therefore we can offer home visits, appointments at the surgery and at the local Children’s Centre.
- providing ante-natal and post-natal support
- supporting parents in bringing up their young children
- providing advice on feeding babies and children
- assessing a child growth and development needs of young children
- supporting children with special needs
- advising on behavioural management techniques
- advising how to reduce risks and prevent accidents and reduce injuries
- providing information on local services
Our weekly drop in session takes place at Prudhoe Medical Group well baby clinic room on Thursdays between 9am and 11.30am. No appointment is necessary however there may be a short wait as families are seen on a first come first served basis. A health visitor will always be available at these sessions to answer any questions you may have along with a nursery nurse.
The health visiting team are available from Monday to Friday from 8am until 4.30pm
You can contact them on 01661 835767, however, if no one is available you can leave a message and they will get back to you on their first available working day, this may take a little longer at times of staff holidays, training etc.
Drop in sessions are available every Thursday at Prudhoe Medical Group from 9.00 a.m. until 11.30 a.m. and at Branch End Surgery every Wednesday from 9.30 a.m. until 11.30 a.m.
The health visiting team facilitate a number of local groups which are free of charge and enable parents and babies to meet other parents and babies in a social setting.
Invitations will be sent out to every family at suitable times to ensure every parent and child has the opportunity to attend.
The groups we currently facilitate are as follows:-
- Birth and Beyond, this is recommended to be attended during pregnancy
- Little Treasures, parents and babies will be invited at around 6 weeks of age.
- Getting in touch with your baby, parents and babies will be invited at around 12 weeks of age.
- What's Weaning? parents and babies will be invited at around 12 weeks of age.